One word can describe today, BUSY. Other words include tired as all get out, stressed, and overall tired of everything. My day was not the greatest but was not the worst either. The intern and I mostly fed. I actually got the chance to feed our, now 3, baby red squirrels today while the other intern fed raccoons. He saw that for the last week I have been stuck on raccoons and thankfully took the job from me. I love the coons and all but after a week of nothing but them and barely touching squirrels; was tired of it.
Besides feeding practically every two hours I also did my best to make sure the kitchen dishes were kept up so a pile did not form. I had to wash my dropper used to feed the babies anyway so I figured why not wash everything else as well. Through out the day it was mostly squirrel feedings and dishes. The three red squirrels in the cage room, they are bigger guys, were moved outside into the pre-release cage where they are now enjoying their new home. Our two gray squirrels, whom were once babies and now big!, were moved as well. So now all three of our pre-release cages are full.
Besides doing more dishes and feedings today, the other intern and I teamed up with an education intern and watered the garden in back. We then grabbed DC the Eastern Screech Owl and brought her inside. We put anklets on her feet so that she could be leashed and used on programs again. We also trimmed her talons and worked on her beak by filing it down. This is we stay safe regarding the talons and so her beak doesn't grow a tube that prevents her from eating I believe. All of the birds get monthly "maintenance" so she was the first for this month. One her exam was finished and I put her back, we went on lunch for an hour.
After lunch I did more feeding/dishes and then helped a rehabber with our resident Snowy Owl. She needed her bandages changed on her feet and other daily maintenance in order to heal infections in her feet. Her feet are looking a lot better since her arrival so although progress is rather slow they are still healing (knock on wood). I think after this I helped with tub dishes and other daily chores before the intern left for REGI with three Robins and one nestling that may be a Vireo. I on the other hand went upstairs with phone for a very short duration of time. Had to call someone in Michigan and give them numbers for Michigan rehabilitators since animals cannot cross borders. After that a call came in about some Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrels who were going to arrive in roughly 20 minutes. That is about how long I could relax before heading downstairs to greet them with the squirrels. They filled our the cards and the exam began. I put deflea on them, weighed them, sexed them (4 Females, 1 Male), and placed them in a box that went into an incubator. After about an hour they went from very chilled and lathargic to energetic and peppy. They kept making chipping noises and were the most adorable things ever. Eventually we gave them rehydration fluid at 5% body weight and overall everything seemed good.
Sadly, either I did something wrong or something unseen occurred because all but one were found dead this morning. The last survivor only lasted for maybe a few hours before she too died as well despite the rehydration period. Not sure what happened at all; but despite them being very active and making sounds + feeding well I guess it did not matter.
At 8pm I fed the red squirrels, these guys, and the raccoons since the other intern wasn't back yet. I also fed the squirrels again at 10pm. Once finished I was finally able to eat dinner and sit down/relax for the first time today besides the "short" lunch period. Shortly after was bed. Still rather sad about the squirrels today since I am the sole caretaker but can you blame someone who truly lacks overall experience with judging situations despite the fews time I was able to watch others? I truly feel it was an unseen event that occurred but who knows... or at least... what have I not been told?

No comments:
Post a Comment