This morning started off with typical Raccoon feeding at 8am. We added more of a food variety to their diets because they are in the process of being weaned off the formula. Next step is outside in the large mammal enclosures where they can grow up and learn how to be true raccoons. They will get to climb around the walls, logs, and more or less have an amazing time out there. Cannot wait to see them grow into their enclosure and one day be released. Hopefully we can release them before I leave but since it took a month to get them to where they are I am unsure. I have had the privilege to watch the 5 babies I rescued from Antigo, WI grow so I hope to see them get released before anyone.
After their bedding was changed, most were given their appropriate dosages of dewormer, all their food was taken care of, and of course all were fed formula the other intern did the dishes and I returned to the kitchen to fill out charts and begin working on cleaning/feeding mice. Wednesday means mice need their bedding changed so we had to do that. The other intern ended up cleaning/feeding more mice then me because I had to count out at least 50 mice that were about 1oz and euthanize them for our birds. Hey, the birds have to eat too. They truly appreciate it too. Once this was taken care of the rest of the feeding/cleaning was finished and we both went to the truck.
With a box and gloves in hand we drove to Woodruff to search for a turtle that had apparently been possibly hit or run over. This resulted in a cracked shell. When we arrived the turtle had crawled away though and no one was sure of where it went. It was in a coffee shops parking lot. So since we could not find the turtle we merely said to call us back if they saw it again and we went on a produce run. Save More and Trigs will usually give us their left over vegetables that are on the verge of going bad. This helps both us and the animals out tremendously. Today we collected 4 boxes of fruits/veges and returned to the center. After unloading we then grabbed a bucket and head out back. Since none of the volunteers were in today we had to give all the residents fresh water. One of the previous workers here who has been coming in to help us took care of feeding all the residents. We were very thankful for this extra help of course!!!
Once everyone was fed and watered we took lunch. A baby robin came in so the other intern will be going to REGI today to drop it off later. She ended up going after lunch and the 2pm feeding of raccoons. We gave everyone their solids and new water then combined two single raccoons into one cage. At first it was cute watching the two sniff each other and act like they were guarding their ground but within a half hour the two became practically siblings. They were snuggling together on the heating pad as if it were not big deal. Gotta love young raccoons despite their smell. We made jokes earlier today about how anyone who knows how to feed a raccoon baby can take care of a human baby. Too soon for such thoughts but valid point! Funny thing was "yeah, except humans don't throw poop at you." "Wellllll.....unless you have boys, then its questionable". "Oh lord!" haha. Best 1 minute convo and a somewhat horrible thought too! Considering... I wanted a boy or two in the future haha. Hopefully they won't fling poo like these raccoon babies do.
Feeding was taken care of and the other intern went to REGI which means I was left back to do other things. I ended up sitting down and sorting through all the produce. Good stuff went to the fridge/freezer for the animals to devour over time and bad stuff went to the compost. Most of it was good (lots of bananas!!!) so not much was wasted. You know how they always told us that all the food from groceries was wasted? Well sometimes it goes towards the animals if the stores are generous enough to donate! The animals will always approve :)!
After sorting it all through, putting some in the fridge/freezer, taking the rest to compost, and recycling the boxes it was about time for 4pm feeding and also the end of the day. The rehabber and I tag teamed and knocked out everything cleaning related. I feed two raccons and gave the Raccoon room a good scrub cleaning! It wasn't sparkling as much as yesterday but very close to it! Trash was all taken out, compost stuff was taken, floors were swept/mopped, and dishes were all done. All of this by 5pm! It seemed the rehabber did most of it while I was in the RISO but I at least did nursery/kitchen dishes!
After 5pm rolled around I loomed upstairs and chilled for a while before I decided to head to the store for groceries. I wanted to do laundry tonight too but when I looked outside all I saw was wind, rain, lightning, and heard thunder. In other words a severe thunderstorm + laundry = no go. however storm + groceries = go for it. I traveled across the street to Walmart and loaded up on enough food to hopefully last me 2-3 weeks. Not too much money spent either....well...ok....about half of my paycheck was spent on groceries. But I have been managing to save back some money back for future use (cough school cough). So not all is lost. At least I won't need to buy food for practically a month it seems. I have not been eating as much which helps big time too.
After the storm trip and guzzling down some new Orange Juice (Sunny D!) I relaxed in my room for a bit before one of the other interns invited me to Hoggie Doggies with the rest of the interns. Of course I could not say no so we went while an old worker here at the center said she would take phone. She was going to be around for a while anyway and I must say it was greatly appreciated! All of her help today was and I even managed to chat a bit later about the way things used to be here at Northwoods when we had advanced license and gained a little history on not only this place but her too. This happened after Hoggie Doggie's and a rescue that popped up as soon as we returned.
I went on my first pick up rescue alone and what was the animal that I was retrieving. Well at the time I was not sure but after the woman showed me what was in the box my whole face lit up with joy. It was a Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrel!!! This was the first time I have ever seen one personally!
Itty bitty guy! Put the heat on to hopefully help keep him warm in the vehicle despite the fact I was personally hot/sweating and headed back towards the center. He still arrived somewhat chilled and seemed lethargic but a heating pad did wonders rather quickly! The old staff member went through the initial exam while I took notes on both the critter's card and in it's patient folder. It weighed in at 13.6 grams and after given some re-hydrating fluids + heat he became alert and rather active. Good news for the little guy! He was orphaned which is why he was taken in and we were called so thankfully the fact he does not have injuries means he will probably have a speedy recovery. This is an assumption though. I know I keep saying he but am unsure of gender. Overall this was a rewarding experience tonight and I hope I am able to help with his release in the future when he has grown up more. I enjoyed watching the staff go through the initial exam progress and helping her by writing down all the notes. She signed everything off, we chatted a little as said, then I head back upstairs.
I intend to check on the guy tomorrow before I go anywhere but for now I am thinking bed. It's late and although I have a day off tomorrow I have something planned with a staff member and volunteer tomorrow at 9am! Will talk about that more tomorrow (with pictures hopefully too!) so for now getting off.
Before I leave though, two of us interns finally got the chance to hold the Southern Flying Squirrel so here I am with the little guy!



No comments:
Post a Comment